Frequently Asked Questions
Structured cabling is the cable infrastructure designed in order to support a smart home system. It consists of specialist cables run from specific points around the home to a centralised location. Companies such as electrical technolo-
In the connected home, a robust and well-designed wireless network is essential. The homeowner and family require the ability to roam around the home, effortlessly controlling their environment without connectivity issues. This is achieved by carrying out a survey to avoid dead spots and carefully selecting products, which will give reliable, long-term operation.
Great demands can be placed on the home network given the myriad of connected devices, streaming audio and video services. Sufficient bandwidth is required so that everything works seamlessly, even when under periods of high demand.
There are many ways to enhance the beauty and look of your home, well-designed lighting can dramatically change the feel and mood of a room at the touch of a button. electrical technolo-g have their own dedicated lighting designer. Paula is highly experienced and has created stunning lighting solutions for both residential and corporate customers.
A lighting control system adds drama and a touch of luxury, but also brings the following benefits to the homeowner.
• Energy savings – Use less electricity
• Convenience – Control your lights from an iPad
• Reduce wall Clutter – No unsightly banks of switches
• Timed Events – Garden lights on at sunset
• Holiday Mode – Potential burglars will think your home is occupied
• Pathways – One button press to light the path to your kitchen
• All lights Off – A convenient button by your front door
• All lights On – Peace of mind in an emergency
With a lighting control system, we need to think a little differently, as you want to make your smart home work for you. A lighting control keypad will have several buttons, programmed to recall lighting scenes. The homeowner decides what the scenes will be and these can be refined during the project. We like to think of scenes as being task or mood specific such as food preparation, dining, cleaning, entertaining, watching movies and reading. Pressing a single button will recall a scene.
A lighting scene could be:
• Down lighters – 50% brightness
• Wall Lights – 30% brightness
• Table lamps – Off
• LED mood lighting – Blue, 40% brightness
These changes happen concurrently and smoothly over a few seconds.
Audio distribution systems, or multi-
The choice of audio source is almost endless. You can choose from::
- FM, DAB or Internet radio
- Streaming services such as Spotify
- Archived music from a connected NAS or computer
- Stream from mobile devices such as iPhone
Integrate your multi-
- Satellite – Sky or FreeSat
- Terrestrial TV
Ray or DVD
- Streaming services such as Netflix
- Apple TV
- Movie servers such as Kaleidescape
Using the latest technology, a single category data cable is capable of distributing full HD Video, multi-
Yes, absolutely! If you’re going to have a large screen TV, why not have a good multi-
There are many considerations when thinking about home cinema:
- Size, orientation and décor of the room
- Cinema equipment and control system
- What level of performance?
- Lighting design and control
- Other usage, such as gaming or listening to music
- Viewing medium, large screen or projection system
- Bespoke furniture and cinema seating
Our team consists of electrical, smart home and lighting designers. We have our own installation experts covering electrical, home automation and IT. We take responsibility for and own the entire process, from design and first fix to programming and commissioning. We don’t need to outsource any part of the project. Additionally, we have strong relationships with other professionals such as kitchen and furniture manufacturers.
We are members of our respective trade organisations and hold all relevant accreditations and insurance.
According to CEDIA members and industry research, those who have integrated homes view these systems as a way to save time, improve comfort and spend more quality time with their families.
A Smart Home is described as having the ability to integrate television, home cinema, lighting control, multi-